Morning, Des Moines! Let’s get you all caught up to start this Saturday, January 15 off on an informed note. Here’s everything you need to know in Des Moines today.
First, today’s weather:
An a.m. flurry; mostly cloudy. High: 17 Low: 0.
Here are the top stories today in Des Moines:
- A Des Moines man was stabbed several times in a hotel parking lot. The man was taken to the hospital with wounds to his arms and legs. Des Moines Police are currently searching for the person who stabbed that man and believe it might have been drug-related. (KCCI Des Moines)
- Iowa begins testing a new recycled plastic mixture used in asphalt on roadways. The new material hopes to extend the life of roadways and potentially save taxpayers tens of millions of dollars in annual road repairs. Sections of Northeast 22nd Street in Des Moines are being used to test the new recycled plastic mixture. (Axios Des Moines)
- Des Moines Police have identified and arrested 64-year-old Michael Dwayne Dunbar in the assault of a 12-year-old. Dunbar has been charged with third-degree sexual abuse and is being held in the Polk County Jail in lieu of a $100,000 cash bond. (KCCI Des Moines)
Today in Des Moines:
- Des Moines Public Schools canceled schools yesterday due to the Iowa snowstorm. Classes will not resume until Thursday next week. (Facebook)
- The Des Moines Register mourns and celebrates the life of Lee Kline, who reported on Iowa rural news for WHO radio. (Facebook)
- The Des Moines Police remind us to check their Twitter feed for weather-related critical incidents, significant road closures, and traffic delays. Stay warm! (Facebook)
Loving the Des Moines Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
Thanks for following along and staying informed. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update!
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.